SAMPLE WORKSHOP PROCESSES...
What Is Art Therapy and What Are The Benefits of Art Therapy 15 minutes
1. What is the difference between an Artist and a Clinical Art Therapist?
2. What is the function and importance of the Art Therapist?
3. How does the Therapeutic process achieved during an Art Therapy Session make a difference for you?
4. How can the Art Therapist facilitate and import healing to the art making process in the session?
Title: Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
Size: Group of 4 to 6
Directive | Boundary Collage 30 minutes
Materials: 18x24 white cardboard, magazine pictures, felt-markers, scissors, and glue.
Procedure: Encourage the group to create a joint collage about a safe place. After completion, encourage sharing of
images and discussion. 1 hour
Rationale: Group activities for adults experiencing trauma enhances cohesion by reclaiming positive parts of their childhood
such as the ability to explore and create a supportive environment. This intervention encourages members to explore way to
establish safe boundaries
Title: Personal Awareness
Size: Group of 6
Directive | Reconstruction 30 minutes
- The Art Therapist instructs the Group to use the art materials available on and around the workspace, such as paint, paper,
pastels, textiles - and the image or illustration they should create.
- The Art Therapist informs the group that artistic skills are NOT necessary to create. Only the natural freedom of expression
- The Group will create their illustration during this Reconstruction period.
Describe and Discuss 30 minutes
- Group members share and describe their images in an open discussion, with guidance from the Art Therapist.
- This process opens up a path for introspection, personal awareness and clarity, giving Group members a better
understanding of how to cope or approach a particular concern or situation in their life.